Canadian singer-songwriter Avril Lavigne made her debut in 2002 with smash hits like Sk8er Boi and Complicated.
Her punk-rock style had us all wanting to copy her aesthetic and sing-along to her songs.
She's still rocking it today, but we can all agree that Avril was one of the coolest chicks in the music industry in the early 2000s.
Here are 15 reasons why so many girls loved "Sk8er" girl Avril.
15. She rocked out concerts in a tomboy skater style that was too-cool-for-school.
14. She said stuff like this: “Why should I care what other people think of me? I am who I am. And who I wanna be.”
13. She had songs that made us want to jump up and down with our friends.
12. But she also had songs that made us want to hug our knees and fall into the dark abyss.
11. She's a self-taught musician.
She can play the guitar, piano, and drums.
10. She's the definition of too-cool-for-school.
She dropped out of high school to pursue a music career after getting a music deal worth more than $1 million.
9. She turned us into a bad-ass.
You just felt good listening to her music, and it made you feel like you could do anything.
8. She made us want to memorize all her song lyrics.
I'm sure we all know the words to "I'm With You."
7. She preferred baggy clothes.
We could basically wear what we wore at home outside.
6. One of her favorite bands is Nirvana.
She has impeccable music taste.
5. Her accessories looked like they could be found at Claire's, and we used to all LOVE Claire's.
4. She wore sneaker heels, which are so much cooler than fancy-looking high heel shoes.
3. Avril also acted in the early 2000s.
She voiced the role of Heather in Over the Hedge and played in Fast Food Nation and The Flock.
2. She's hilarious.
1. She's a small town girl who loves pizza, so of course we would get along.
Her hometown, Napanee, Ontario, named a pizza after her at a local pizza joint. It contains pepperoni, olives, and mushrooms.
Share this story if Avril Lavigne influenced you in the early 2000s!