Memories of the 80s are filled with nostalgia, especially when it comes to cartoons and other shows for kids, it was the golden age of Saturday mornings. But as amazing as these shows were in regards to entertainment value, there were some major plot holes that are mind-boggling to my adult self.
1. Duck Tales - What happened to Webby's parents?
Webby was the young granddaughter to Scrooge's housekeeper, Mrs. Beakley. Webby seems to be raised by her grandmother which begs the question, what happened to her parents?
2. What accident was Inspector Gadget involved in that turned him into Go Go Gadget?
Everyone knows the story, Inspector Gadget was a lovable yet dimwitted super-spy. He had the ability to call on an untold number of "gadgets" incorporated into his body in order to get the job done. But how did this happen? What type of accident would he have been in that would have needed such extreme modifications to become a lesser RoboCop?
3. Alvin and the Chipmunks - Why were the chipmunks the same size as human children?
In the modern movie adaptations of the show, the chipmunks are portrayed as just that, itty bitty critters. So why in the 80s cartoon version were they the same size as human children when every other animal in the show was portrayed properly to scale?
4. Jem & The Holograms - Being okay with sharing your boyfriend with an alter ego?
I know that the 60s and 70s were the decades of free-love, but you would think that a more conservative decade like the 80s wouldn't have stood for this (lol). But as part of Jem & The Holograms, Jerrica (who is Jem incognito) ends up sharing her boyfriend Rio with her alter ego, and seems totally fine with a cheating boyfriend.
5. How were the turtles paying for all the pizza they ate?
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are still a fan favorite to this day, but it was the 80s cartoon that spawned everything that has come after. The turtles are known for their love of pizza, but the one question that remains unanswered is, how were the paying for it all? None of them had any means of making legal money.
6. How did Prince Adam never get busted for being He-Man?
He-Man is one of my favorites personally. Who hasn't hollered "by the power of greyskull" at least once in their life? Even though Prince Adam gained a massive power boost when he transformed into He-Man, his appearance didn't change enough to be considered a secret. How did Skeletor never figure out the true identity of the leading protagonist?
7. Gargamel created Smurfette, why didn't he just create more smurfs if he was so hungry?
No answer was ever given to this simple question. He created Smurfette but couldn't do it again? I guess we shall never know.
8. Gargamel wants nothing more than to eat smurfs, but has he ever done it before?
It is fairly morbid for a children's show, but Gargamel is obsessed with feasting on any smurf he can get his hands on. He never seems to be successful, but had he ever done it before?
9. Who fathered Baby Smurf?
As Smurfette is the only female smurf, it begs the question of who fathered Baby Smurf?
10. Denver The Last Dinosaur - How did he survive 100 million years?
Jurassic Park showed us that dinosaurs could be cloned using ancient DNA frozen in amber, but this would not have been possible in the 80s. So how did Denver end up living 100 million years to be the last of his kind?
11. Beverly Hills Teens - What's the deal with Bianca's chauffeur?
I wasn't a huge fan of this particular show, but it did have it's merits. But one aspect of the show that confuses everyone is, how old is Bianca's chauffeur? He looks like a grown ass man had a pre-teen's head transplanted on his body?
12. Where did the Muppet Babies live?
None of the Muppet Babies had any parents, did they live in an orphanage?
13. What was the nanny from Muppet Babies, was she human or a muppet?
Much in the style of Charlie Brown's teacher, you never see what Nanny actually looks like. It has us wondering if she was a human or an adult sized muppet.
14. Care Bears - Why was Grumpy, grumpy?
In a world of love, happiness and all around euphoria, why was there the need for Grumpy Bear.